Sunday, February 28, 2010

Swallows, Banana nut Muffins and the perfect fried egg





Banana nut muffins recipe (with yogurt)
Musings as I cook: Swallows and star, a plan for the next tattoo
Mabel slept over last night, she brought Japanese food and we watched Lovely Bones and Julie/Julia (wonderful cooking movie) until she fell asleep (haha). I woke up early - as is the tradition we are seeming to have, I cook for two of my favorite people in the world in the morning and they happily eat.
I had made banana nut muffins last week and it was hard as rock - no one ate it and I wanted to re-do it to perfection...I think it needs a little more work (and Andy wishes there were chocolate chips) but all in all it's 85% there. Also, I made fried egg but it was not perfect...the eggs I want to make resemble a breakfats I had in Paris - it had a runny yolk, perfectly formed whites and it tasted vaguely of butter and pepper! I guess the sign of being a good cook is perfecting cooking the simplest food and the simplest ingredients - needless to say I am far away from it.
Secrets for the muffins:
* use yogurt instead of milk
* use olive oil instead of butter
* DONT use Whole wheat flour through and through; makes it too heavy
* Mix DRY ingredients: 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 1/3 cups Flour; 2 tsps Bakin powder; 1/2 tsp salt
* Mix WET ingredients: 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 large egg, 4 tbsps olive oil, 2 bananas (mashed)
* Fold in the dry over the wet ingredients; cook at 375 for 15-20 mins ( I like to undercook so it's chewy)
On another note: I am planning my next tattoo, (left ankle) and it seems like it will be that of swallows and stars. These are old sailor tattoos...before navigation devices were avaialble
a swallow was a sign that a sailor was coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet the Inked. Cupcakemaker

My photo
Dubai, UAE
A marketeer, yoga enthusiast, with a penchant for baking, skateboarding and thinking of adding 1 more to her 4 tattoos. I was in Thailand 3 1/2 years ago when the baking bug got to me, for a long stretch (aided by insomnia) I would invent and bake cookies and cupcakes for friends. Most of my baked goodies I could only eat sparingly as I was wary of it being too unhealthy - so the baking stopped. I have recently turned vegetarian and realized that healthy food can be super yummy...why not baking? There are loads of inspiring journalling from friends (love Lyan's blogs on cooking and Shane's) that I was inspired to journal my own! So here's to an exploration of healthy sweet treats you and I can enjoy...guilt-free!