Friday, March 19, 2010

Scones and Risotto


RISOTTO AND BAKED FISH
I just wanted to post a dinner I made for Andy and his friend John. I made a green salad with cooked potatoes, beans (like a Nicoise salad), and baked the fish (I forget what it was) with lemon juice and pepper. I am not too excited about this meal, so I'll just post the photo which is pretty.
SCONES
I first ate scones funnily in Bangkok - Starbucks to be exact. It wasnt very yummy, very floury but I felt like this English biscuit had potential. I ate scones again last week, and it left a lot to the imagination. Last night I decided I'd make my own - the recipe is simple, and it took me 30mins to make -a few tips:
- cook it full for 12 mins, I undercooked mine slightly
- I glazed it with milk, brown sugar and then put (winning move) some organic maple syrup

It was crispy on top, but moist inside I didnt have to put jam, etc, because it had enough sweetness on it - the recipe can be found here - http://www.ecurry.com/blog/starters-snacks/scones-cranberry-almond/

I just ate the scones now and its super yummy!!! Cooking really allows me to appreciate my food better, I feel the same as my fellow yogini and foodie Shane when she said that eating sweets in restaurants, etc just dont taste the same - most are too sweet, and i dont know, it tastes 'mass produced' haha!. Back to the scones, something I read on the blog site where i got the recipe,

" The scone is a small British quickbread (or cake if recipe includes sugar) of Scottish origin. Scones are especially popular in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, but are eaten in many other countries. They are usually made of wheat, barley or oatmeal, with baking powder as a leavening agent. The scone is a basic component of the cream tea or Devonshire tea.” (Wiki) Originally the scones were griddle baked but today they are more flour based, baked in the oven & are usually savory or sweet. There are two ways to pronounce scone; “Skon” is usually used in Scotland and Northern England and “Skoan” is used in the South parts."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet the Inked. Cupcakemaker

My photo
Dubai, UAE
A marketeer, yoga enthusiast, with a penchant for baking, skateboarding and thinking of adding 1 more to her 4 tattoos. I was in Thailand 3 1/2 years ago when the baking bug got to me, for a long stretch (aided by insomnia) I would invent and bake cookies and cupcakes for friends. Most of my baked goodies I could only eat sparingly as I was wary of it being too unhealthy - so the baking stopped. I have recently turned vegetarian and realized that healthy food can be super yummy...why not baking? There are loads of inspiring journalling from friends (love Lyan's blogs on cooking and Shane's) that I was inspired to journal my own! So here's to an exploration of healthy sweet treats you and I can enjoy...guilt-free!