Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mabel's Dinner





I had Mabel over for dinner this weekend - instead of our usual foray into JBR. Mabel and I have been friends since we were 9 years old and have by some miracle (and effort) kept in touch despite moves in schools and ultimately countries...until we met here again in Dubai.

I decided to cook her something special for dinner. Inspired by Tastespotting and eventually Shane's tries at some recipes I chose to make some Pumpkin Spinach Feta Salad (the same salad Mabel and I like eating at a restaurant here called Circles), then That Zuchinni Cupcakes for main, Andy cooked steak as well. We finished off with some Decaf Latte and the Raspberry Lemon cupcakes. I did a variation and blended frozen raspberries with yogurt to make a sauce on top of it. Andy found the lemon rinds annoying...I think I cut it too thickly (the recipe called Zest, and well I put rind). I found the chewiness quite interesting though.

Spinach Feta Salad
600 grams unseeded pumpkin - cooked at 200 C oven for 45 mins each side if thick
* baste with 2 tsp honey + 1 tbsp olive oil (or as needed)
Toss with:
a bed of 4 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup quartered feta cheese
75 grams sundried tomatoes
toasted pine nuts

Dressing
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp mustard
pepper and salt to taste

Here are the links of the other recipes

That Zuchinni Cupcake

Raspberry Lemon tart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet the Inked. Cupcakemaker

My photo
Dubai, UAE
A marketeer, yoga enthusiast, with a penchant for baking, skateboarding and thinking of adding 1 more to her 4 tattoos. I was in Thailand 3 1/2 years ago when the baking bug got to me, for a long stretch (aided by insomnia) I would invent and bake cookies and cupcakes for friends. Most of my baked goodies I could only eat sparingly as I was wary of it being too unhealthy - so the baking stopped. I have recently turned vegetarian and realized that healthy food can be super yummy...why not baking? There are loads of inspiring journalling from friends (love Lyan's blogs on cooking and Shane's) that I was inspired to journal my own! So here's to an exploration of healthy sweet treats you and I can enjoy...guilt-free!