Friday, June 19, 2009

Khao Soi!


I'm totally in love with Thai food as I just said - I'm not a big fan of thai curries though except for one, called Khao Soi. This is a spicy Northern Thai dish and is usually not served in a lot of Thai restaurants in Bangkok (although they have it in Central Foodloft). It's a soupy-dish with egg noodles, topped with crispy egg noodles, an egg, and served to taste with chilli flakes or oil and pickled cabbages. It is usually served as well with chicken - in some cases a whole drumstick, for this recipe I halved it. 1/2 part made with chicken for Andy and 1/2 made from some faux chicken meat from the Korean store.

I brought some Khao Soi mix from Bangkok and I just cooked it based on that. Also substituted the cabbages for dill pickles, which was surprisingly good. * Will need to research what khao soi mix is made up of, but for now this is what I can share. Ended up with too little sauce, next time should add more.
CHOP
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/2 white onion

COOK in hot water
* 1/2 carrot
* 2 red potatoes
* 8 oz egg noodles (serves 2-3)

SLICE
* 2 chicken breasts
Heat wok, and stir in 1 tbsp coconut oil or 2 tbsp olive oil with garlic and white onion. Toss in the chicken or faux meat, and add cooked carrot and potatoes. Add a mix of 1 packet khao soi spices + 2 cups coconut milk. Simmer for about 20mins and add 2 more cups water. Serve the sauce with egg noodles and top with crunchy egg noodles (or any crunchy noodles). Also can be eaten with pickled cabbage, 1/2 cooked hard boiled egg and with chilli to taste.




1 comment:

Meet the Inked. Cupcakemaker

My photo
Dubai, UAE
A marketeer, yoga enthusiast, with a penchant for baking, skateboarding and thinking of adding 1 more to her 4 tattoos. I was in Thailand 3 1/2 years ago when the baking bug got to me, for a long stretch (aided by insomnia) I would invent and bake cookies and cupcakes for friends. Most of my baked goodies I could only eat sparingly as I was wary of it being too unhealthy - so the baking stopped. I have recently turned vegetarian and realized that healthy food can be super yummy...why not baking? There are loads of inspiring journalling from friends (love Lyan's blogs on cooking and Shane's) that I was inspired to journal my own! So here's to an exploration of healthy sweet treats you and I can enjoy...guilt-free!